Nigeria to ban interstate travels over coronavirus - THE GUARDIAN
By Dennis Erezi
The Nigerian Government on Thursday said it plans to ban inter-state travelling in the country.
“The Federal Government announces plans to ban inter-state travel and possibly close down all motor parks as part of measures to curtail the spread of the #Coronavirus,” presidential aide Bashir Ahmad said in a tweet quoting information minister, Lai Mohammed.
“In view of this, we are considering tougher measures to enforce compliance, stop the exportation of the disease to states that do not have it and minimize spread.”
A national shutdown of the country looks imminent after the government announced different measures to curb a further spread of coronavirus.
About a week ago, the government placed travel restriction on 15 countries with a high prevalence of the virus. The government also suspended its visa on arrival policy on the same day.
The government have also advised citizens to stay at home as the world tackles the pandemic.
The federal government and state government also barred all social and religious gatherings of not less than 20 people at a place.
All schools and tertiary institutions in the country have also been shut for a month.
Nigeria’s toll of people infected with coronavirus is 51 as at Thursday 2:30 pm. Two of the patients have fully recovered and discharged. Six more have fully recovered and will be discharged on Friday according to Lagos State Government. One death has been recorded so far.